Saturday, June 16, 2012

MASTER OF THE HOUSE (or: How To Treat A Lady)

HELLO AGAIN.  I hope you guys are all doing great!  A few, new, weird things for this week.  Like every week.  The weather is sunny every day, which is nice, but also hot and humid.  Whenever I check the weather, though, it's always in Celsius and I don't bother converting it.  So today Peter told me that it had been 102 degrees and I didn't really think of it as that hot, so good news on the blood-thinning front!

I went to Tyre, in the way south, today to hit up what is generally thought of as the nicest public beach here.  It was, indeed, nice and I didn't get burnt, which is double nice.  The popular topic of the day was how pale I am, but I didn't mind because when you're one of the beautiful people, others get jealous.  Also, I hope they all go to Britain and stick out like sore thumbs whilst I blend in with the locals.

A MOVE IS AFOOT

So I'm moving into the apartment that I'm charged with housesitting for the summer.  Really a sweet deal so I lucked out on that one.  There is actually a balcony with a seaside view.  I'm just not going to ask any questions and hope nobody realizes what a steal I'm getting.



LESSONS ON BEING A GENTLEMAN

 We had a fairly large group going to Tyre today - 4 girls and 3 guys, total.  If you're a Western woman here and not with a man, you can get stared or have some unwanted marriage proposals.  Of course, with 4 girls all in swimsuits (wearing loose stuff over it, but still dressing to a Western-suitable norm), we got lots of leery young guys on the buses there and back. 

As a buddy of mine pointed out once here: "See those 20-year-old dudes over there?  They have never kissed a woman.  Think about that.  That'll mess you up, man."


WHEREUPON I FIND MY KRYPTONITE


Buying stuff out here goes something like this.  And I love it.

However, I was totally and unexpectedly disarmed today when I went shopping in Tyre, because the shopkeepers WERE UNASSUMING YOUNG MEN BETWEEN 15-20 and the prices they initially offered WERE DIRT CHEAP.  As in, 65 cents for something I thought was going to be a few dollars. 

By being young guys, just trying to help out their family at their shop, and coupled with insanely low prices (maybe even non-foreigner prices, god forbid???), my aggressive, yet jovial, haggling mode was shut down in a heartbeat and I simply accepted the price, paid it, and left.

That being said, I still got a great deal.



 WELL, that's it for now.  More to come.  Probably?  Sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment