Wednesday, June 27, 2012

MORE SWEAT (or: Ya Burnt!)

Hi guys!  It's been a full-on oven here lately so it really feels like home.  The bizarre thing is that it...never...rains.  Ever.  In the summer, that is.  So at least I can count on the same thing every day, which is to say, wear flip-flops whenever possible.

I also went to Parliament today to check out a concluding summary meeting for some EU-Lebanese Parliament project, which was interesting.  Mostly I was thrilled that there were free, mini-size donuts available beforehand.  


TROUBLE IN TRIPOLI

I went to Tripoli last Saturday, which is the second biggest city here and up in the north.  There have been some troubles there lately between pro-Assad (ruler of Syria) and anti-Assad groups, but it's quiet right now. Still, there are army guys everywhere there though they mostly seem bored.

I went with my buddy Bojan (boy-YAN) on Saturday morning.  We bought tickets for a bus but since so few people were going when we were there, we just piled into a bus company car whose driver must've thought that you get extra points for almost ramming vehicles in the slow lane when you pass cars in the fast lane because you are batshit crazy.

We met up with a girl who works with us at AUB and showed us to a nice breakfast in town, then took us to some old sites (medieval souks, an old hammam), which was neat.  She left us at the citadel (awesome awesome Crusader-era fortress that I could go on and on about if you asked) and not a second passed until a local tour guide popped up.  Often these guys are sleazy jerks who rip you off but nobody visits Tripoli these days (due to said troubles), so he was beside himself that anyone was visiting.  He showed us all over the castle and a bunch of medieval sites in the city and seemingly knew every damn person on the street, which was hilarious.

Later me and Bojan went to the shoreline in Tripoli, also not very busy, where we walked along the corniche until finding a couple plastic chairs with an umbrella and sat with a coke for a couple hours.  Really, really nice, just sitting by the sea, feeling the breeze.  Looking at the Mediterranean never gets old to me - I can never believe I'm seeing it, it just feels larger than life. 

We then found our way back home, but not before befriending the owner of the bus company in town because he had a red beard like me (pictures forthcoming).  Also, I got my first sunburn in maybe 10 years.  I strategically put sunscreen on my neck, face, ears, and tops of hands.....but not my arms or legs since they have hair.  Stupid stupid stupid.  Anyways, the burn's not too bad, just retarded.


VASSAR REUNION: BEIRUT

A Vassar pal from my freshman year group is actually out here doing freelance reporting, so we've begun meeting up from time to time to hang out.  She was actually doing a Fulbright scholarship in Syria until last spring, when that obviously ended.

But more importantly, she says there's a FLEA MARKET near her place (!!!), so we're gonna go on Sunday.  No word on if they have pecan brittle.


A NERD AGAIN

I've started going to Arabic classes here, which I think I'm going to take more of because I'm always complaining that I don't get to use it regularly when in the U.S.  It's only partly humiliating and I figure it's only a month or so of classes. 


RETURN OF THE WAYWARD SON

I'm planning on coming back in early August for my buddy Max's wedding near NYC.  I dunno if I'll be staying for a few weeks then going back or staying for good or something different.  I will keep you posted.



Okay guys - hope to chat soon!  Dad, get your tuckus onto Skype!  Love you all!



1 comment:

  1. Donuts were the reason you tolerated going to church as a child. You were wise then and you are wise now.

    ReplyDelete